K2 Smartofrms is a rich and powerful designer of user interfaces, which can help you build forms for applications of various complexity. Even though K2 Designer contains a lot of out-of-the-box components, events, actions, themes, we do not fully control the Document Object Model (DOM). that is produced by the K2 Smartforms engine. But what if we need something non-standard? What if we need to exceed the limits?
1. Custom Control Development
Developers may create Custom Controls, i.e. web UI components, to extend the functionality and look of standard set of controls provided with K2 smartforms. A developer usually decides in favor of Custom Controls, when the required functionality is really complex and not just a minor tweak. When developing custom controls, you should always bear in mind the following:
- It is the only well-maintainable way of extending Smartforms with additional functions. K2 lists Custom Control development as one of the possible extensions of K2 Smartforms.
- A Custom Control can implement the number of control properties, methods and events, that can be later used in K2 Designer for configuration.
- Complex controls can be developed with the help of custom control development.
- K2 has Product Documentation, which describes, how Custom Controls can be developed
- K2 Documentation describes only basic functionality. If you need some advanced features, you might not find the required information.
- Development may take a lot of time.
- You cannot add Custom Controls to K2 Cloud.
- Quick implementation of a feature in comparison to a custom control.
- It can be used in K2 Cloud and, probably, it is currently the only way to extend the Cloud platform.
- Due to a Cannot be easily bound to Smartforms events and actions.